Thursday, December 4, 2008

File This Under Strange and Wonderful


Today I saw something beautiful. I was driving along following another car, two more cars behind me everyone in a hurry as usual and up ahead, I noticed something lying in the street. I was trying to figure out what it was and formulating my plan to cross over the double yellow line into the opposing lane of traffic to swerve around said obstacle. As we got closer it became obvious that this was someones large plastic trash can, blown off the curb and into the street.

Here is where the beautiful happened. I watched as the car in front of me stopped, the driver got out and put the trashcan back on the curb gently. He waved me on to go around him as he got out but I found myself patiently applying my brakes and very happily admiring his selfless act. I could not go around him. His decision to stop his own life to help someone else forced me to do the same. Out of respect for his act, I paused and reflected on my tendency to blow by and not help, to look for the fastest way around someone else's troubles. The cars behind me also stopped. No one honked or yelled or sped by. We all became observers in a life that we are all called to lead. One man's example. One small act. One huge and beautiful reminder.

May you slow down and act graciously.

No comments: