Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions of Abundance

Auld Lang SyneImage via WikipediaI have made resolutions in the past and have been everything from a complete failure to a moderate success at keeping them. This year I want to go about them from a different angle. I am learning that life is about abundance and not scarcity, growth is about adding to and not taking away from. I have become convinced that the Universe in it's loving Grace and Wisdom wants us to succeed and prosper and to move toward fulfillment. All of my past resolutions have been focused on the negative; quit smoking (done), quit drinking (done), cut back on frivolous spending (done, but only because I am poor not because I have defeated this demon), lose weight (done and undone several times), etc.

I am sure you have made your own, similarly negative, resolutions. Focusing on the negative is not only counter to the Universe, but it is no fun. Is it any wonder I struggle to keep resolutions when they involve self-denial and the removal of things that, while they may be bad for me, are obviously so much fun that I have done them to excess?


  • What if the focus for resolutions was on working toward gaining rather than loosing?
  • What if we were to accept who we are, what we do and how we live as OK, but sought out ways to improve on it?
  • What if instead of giving anything up this year we figured out what we could add?
  • How much fun would that be?
I think this way of re-framing resolutions may be more than just semantics. It is possible that the concept of acquiring is just more appealing than losing, or giving up. It is possible that by adding the right things to our lives, the wrong things will just fade away.

This year, I resolve to add the following things to my abundant life in 2009:
  1. Add more time to my schedule to talk to God.
  2. Make more friends
  3. Think more of others than myself
  4. Take better care of my body
  5. Devote more time to rest and renewal
  6. Be more generous with my generosity
As I look over the list and think about the upcoming year I am aware of the fear that a year long commitment sometimes carries. Maybe it's best to go with the "one day at a time" approach. Instead of being intimidated by focusing on the whole of 2009 I could start each resolution with the line "just for today I will...". That seems doable! OK then, resolutions of abundance done one day at a time.

  • How can you reword your resolutions to be in a positive rather than a negative voice?
  • What can you add to your life that would enrich you and fulfill your spirit?
  • How would you complete the phrase "just for today I will..." every day in 2009?
Blessings to you in 2009. Thank you for journeying along with the rest of us. May you be aware of the abundance of the Universe. May you give freely from that abundance.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: